I have been thinking for a long time about what I should do with this website.
If you’ve been following this site for some time, you would notice that I’ve been quite random in the things I write about. Sometimes, it’s about food or electronics. Other times, it’s about philosophy. And on rare occasions, it’s about politics.
It has been fun.
But I think I should try something new. I’ve read a few books and articles in the past few months, and I’ve been quite inspired.
Writing has the power to change the perceptions and even the lives of other people. An article could enlighten someone or give that person a new perspective about an issue. But an article can also help a business to boom or go bust. It can also be a powerful catalyst for real change in society. There is an incredible amount of power in writing.
And therefore, an incredible moral responsibility.
So here’s what I plan to do with my website:
1. Commentaries about issues that are dear to me, or urgently need discussing. I’d like to focus especially on current affairs, politics, religion, science and technology, government policies, and other trends, both present and emerging. If possible, I would also like to present these issues from a philosophical perspective. There’s too many commentaries from a sociological, or economical perspective. But we rarely come across discussions about the underlying philosophical problems or implications of these matters.
2. Reviews of Products and Services, especially those of local businesses. The problem with many local businesses is that they don’t have a very good publicity engine. Where a business, product, or service is great, I will render due praise. But I wish to go one step further by using these businesses, products or service as case studies for what went right and what didn’t go right. There is much to learn whether we are running a business of our own or not.
3. Interviews with interesting persons. This is inspired from my reading of the Financial Times (FT) over the years. The FT has a weekly lunch interview with famous people. I love the writing style and the kinds of conversation that comes up over a meal. I’d like to do something like that. I think it’ll be an insightful exercise for me, and for my readers.
But of course, I don’t like this website to be so impersonal. I would like to keep the personal aspect of a blog here. This has been my primary purpose of blogging since I started years ago. It has been a fun way for me to journal and explore issues in my life. It has also been an avenue for me to explore in a playful manner various projects and more.
So, to the purposes of this website, I’d add:
4. Exploration of interesting places, things, and activities that I discover when I go wandering about.
5. Personal Blog, where I journal about life.
There are other things that I’d like to post here on this website, such as book reviews, or drawings etc. I guess I’ll do those when the opportunity comes up. I’ll focus on trying to do these five things at least once a month. I would like to do this on a daily basis, but ever since I started working, I’ve had a lot of difficulties trying to find the time and space to write.
We’ll see how things go.